Last night we went to see the new JOKER movie. I am not one who likes to frequent the dark movie theater but I was interested in this movie and was actually excited to see it.
Mental Health is a huge problem in our society today. It comes in all shapes and sizes. This movie really brings to light many key points in regards to mental illness. I am going to share a few of my take aways with you.
1. Mental illness is non discriminatory-It does not care about your age, race, sex or social status. It can effect anyone.
2. Mental illness comes in all shapes and sizes- It effects people in different ways.
3. Mental illness is not always visible on the outside-Many times you will never see the mental illness that someone else is struggling with.
4. Those who suffer with mental illness are not freaks or clowns- They are mothers, wives, sons and daughters.
5. Our healthcare systems has failed those with mental illness-Our healthcare systems are actually causing more harm by prescribing all kinds of medications and then kicking them back out on the streets without seeking the root of the mental illness cause.
6. Telling someone to “get over it” actually causes more harm then good. It’s not as easy as just “putting on a happy face.”
There are several more take aways that I could share from this movie. I would encourage you to go and watch it. I will say this movie is not okay for children. Once you watch it, feel free to share your thoughts.
Because People Matter.